Decide if your site is right for solar
- Does your roof receive direct sunlight during peak hours year- round?
- Does your roof face south?
- Is your roof in good condition?
Decide what type of solar hot water system meets your needs
- Learn how solar hot water systems work to determine which type is right for your needs
- Consider how you will protect the system during freezing temperatures
- Determine the capacity you will require
- Contact a solar hot water system contractor
- Ask to receive an estimate for your home’s new solar hot water system
- Check your solar hot water system contractor’s references
- Find out about local permitting requirements and ask if the contractor will take care of obtaining them
- To take advantage of the federal tax credit, make sure the solar hot water system you’ve chosen qualifies
- Check with your state and local utility providers to see if they offer additional incentives for homeowners who install solar hot water systems
- Learn what steps need to be taken to properly maintain your solar hot water system
- Ask your solar hot water system contractor if they provide maintenance services
- Ask your solar hot water system contractor how often the system should be inspected and if inspections are necessary to comply with product warranties
- Learn about weatherization steps that may be necessary for your new solar hot water system