Size of the solar collectors
In order for your new solar hot water heater system to supply the amount of hot water you need, the system needs to have adequate collector coverage. The collectors of solar hot water heater systems for homes in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are typically sized as follows:
- 25 square feet of surface area is needed for a 2-person household
- For each additional family member, 12 to 14 square feet of collector surface area is necessary
Size of the storage tank
The storage tank of your solar hot water heater system holds all the water heated by the solar energy that your collectors absorbed. In an active system, you need 1.5 gallons of storage tank space per square foot of collector area.
- In general, households of two people need storage tanks with a capacity between 40 and 50 gallons.
- 3 to 4-person households have tanks around 60 to 80 gallons.
- 5 to 6-person households need a storage tank of approximately 100 to 120 gallons.
- If your household has a higher demand for hot water, you should consider a storage tank the next size up.
The experts at Smith Sustainable Design know how to size your solar hot water heater system the right way to ensure maximum performance and comfort. Call us to size and install a solar hot water heater system for your home this summer.